Curious Baby Boy

Curiosity, I believe, is an innate human trait. We struggle to understand the world that surrounds us. For Roman it's "what is this?", "what does it taste  like?", "can I pick it up?" "can I chew on it?" These are the most basic curiosities that most children posses. At some point along the way we stop putting things in our mouths to figure out what they are and we start to analyse things by categories. But I suppose if your just young and innocent your still working on what all those categories might be and how things relate to each other.

When Roman was first born he was fascinated with ceiling fans, and rightly so, since he stared at the ceiling most of the day, the fans were a nice change of pace, something interesting to look at. Now that he is a lot more mobile things on the floor hold much more interest, every little thing and even shadows of things on the floor must be touched and handled and tasted. Such innocents in life is humbling to behold and you can see his little mind churning and trying to figure out what things are and what they do and if they are edible. So sweet is the curiosity of a child, I wonder sometimes if as adults we miss out on the pleasures of a simple curiosity and why don't we take the time to look at and ponder the world around us. When is the last time that you just sat and stared at, touched, and tasted something just to see what it is? I know I can't think of anything, maybe I'll try to get down on his level and see the world through his eyes and try to find out what would be most interesting to be curious about. Roman, you do amaze me everyday.

0 comments: