A new Dad.

You know, even though it has been about 10 months since my son was born I haven't really taken time to reflect on how it feels to be a new dad. Sure I thought about it before he was born and since he has come into our lives it's just been a blur of an amazing ride to this point. As I reflect on the last 10 months I can see how far my son has come in just a short time. Already he has claimed some of his own independence and really started to move around and test his surroundings. In just a few short months he went from constantly needing to be held by us and fed by us to feeding himself his bottles and really wanting to get down and move around. Shocking really is the rate at which a child grows, even all the cool clothes we bought for him when planning for his first months after he was born don't even fit him any more.

I think more than all that I've noticed that his existence in my life has changed how I see my own. Now I can think to myself...Wow, I'm a dad?! I am the father of a being that has come into this world and will depended on me for shelter, food, love, and learning. Sonia has been so good for him and really showed him what it means to love, I see the smiles he gives her and it melts my heart. Such a strong bond is the one between mother and son and I hope that I can keep a strong bond as well with my son.

As a new dad I think the best part of being a parent and having child is when they look at your face and your eyes and really try to understand you and then they smile back at you when you smile at them. Nothing makes the world seems so small and finite as holding your child close to you and exchanging that precious thing that is a smile.

0 comments: